Current courses at RU Nijmegen:
- History of Biology
This course is taught in the Bachelor biology programme, offered as an elective to molecular life scientists, but actually open to all. I am extremely proud of this course and of the very enthusiastic response from students. (course description)
🎥 Web lecture samples: Evolution pre-Darwin, Origins of The Origin.
🎥 Podcasts of lectures in Dutch, recorded around 2012 (it’s moved on, since).
- Science and Society
A Bachelor course for Molecular Life Scientists, organised around the question: “How could we make science (even) better?” It includes a lot of attention for integrity issues and changes in the organisation of research. Great reviews, since I introduced a new format for the course. (course description)
- Science and Public Policy
This masters’ course for students in our Science in Society programme is a crash course in policy studies, as well as a thorough introduction in science-for-policy and policy-for-science, both practical and theoretical. Not easy, but very rewarding. (course description)
Thesis supervision (Masters)
I am currently specifically interested in supervising students who want to study issues of research integrity from a social science perspective. This may include fraud, misconduct, but also structural problems that endanger the reliability or self-corrective potential of scientific institutions. Topics could concern: media response to misconduct, changing research organisation in response to misconduct (eg. changes in peer review practices, data management, lab protocols), integrity policies, misconduct controversies, financial fraud in science, inappropriate influencing by clients or stakeholders, etc.
Other subjects I have experience with and can supervise meaningfully include: science and environmental policy (advice, expertise, science-policy interface), citizen science (amateur biologists, field biology), science in nature and environmental protection, the organisation of universities and its discontent, and related topics.
Some courses I taught in the past:
- Radboud Honours Academy: ‘The Future of Universities’, The Value of Science’
- Policy and Economics
- Biology and Society
- Introduction to Policy Analysis
- Public Policy Analysis
- The Multilevel Policy Process in the European Union
- Policy (‘Beleid’)
- Policy Processes (‘Beleidsprocessen’)
- Policy Design in the EU Context
- Policy, Ethics, and Media (for forensic scientists)
- Science, Technology and Policy (for engineers)
- Classical and Contemporary Sociology of Knowledge (‘Klassieke en Hedendaagse Kennissociologie’)
- Science, Technology, and Culture
- Research Seminar (‘Onderzoeksseminar’, for advanced students)
- Societal Biology (‘Maatschappelijke biologie’)
- Policy Biology (‘Beleidsbiologie’)
- Science Dynamics in Internship (‘Wetenschapsdynamica in de stage’)
- Science Dynamics for Biologists (‘Wetenschapsdynamica voor Biologen’)
- Chemistry and Society (‘Chemie en Samenleving’)